People, especially women, take many anti-ageing measures for skin care so that they may delay the process of ageing which is represented by loosening of skin.
Ayurved has deeply addressed this issue of skin ageing.
Skin ages due to both internal as well as external factors.
Internal factors include ;-
- Inability of skin to retain moisture
- Low level of elastin production
- Lesser production of new skin cells, etc.
External factors are related to lifestyle choices and surrounding environment like :-
- Prolonged exposure to sun or extreme cold
- Lack of sleep, etc.
Here some herbal remedies which can be tried out to keep looking fresh and youthfull :-
- Basil herb or Osimum sanctum (Tulsi) has effective antiageing and antioxidant properties. Boil Tulsi leaves and water until the water is reduced to half, then drink it.
- Grate raw coconut and squeeze milk out of it. Apply this milk on your face to get a radiant look.
- Avocado pulp can give your face a rejuvenated look because of its oily nature.
- Apply fresh aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel to the skin.
- Honey has a strong antiageing property. Take ½ tablespoon of honey and mix it with 1-2 tablespoon of rose water. Apply this mixture on face, neck and other exposed areas. Leave it for 15-20 minutes. Then wash it with lukewarm water. Honey moisturizes and soothes dry skin and tones it to give a glowing complexion with wrinkle-free skin.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey, olive oil, vitamin E oil and one egg yolk to make an antiageing lotion to be used as moisturizing facial mask. Apply it for 15 minutes, then wash with lukewarm water.
- An oil massage with almond oil, coconut oil or ghee is a wonderful remedy for dry skin.
- Avoid too much of sun exposure as it is one of the main causes of wrinkles. Use umbrella, scarves etc.
- Drink lots of water during the day to provide optimum supply of moisture to the skin.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables which have antioxidants that help fight the damage caused by free radicals generated in our body due to physical and mental stress.
- Get adequate sleep. T5ry to sleep on your back. Sleeping on sides may cause wrinkles on chin and cheeks.
- Quit smoking. Cigarette smoke ages skin by releasing an enzyme that breaks down elastin and collagen – vital components of skin.
- Switch to green tea. Green tea has anti-inflammatory, antiageing and healing effects on the skin, which helps in skin rejuvenation.